“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there’d be a shortage of sand.” – I was thinking of this quote by Milton when I recently visited the sand dunes of Colorado. H/T Jennie Poppenger
Colorado Vacations – Top 5 Family Friendly Colorado Things to Do in Spring
The Holiday’s are over, school is in full swing and Spring is quickly approaching. If you find yourself daydreaming of a much needed getaway, now would be the perfect time to start planning that Springtime Colorado family vacation. Things to do during the season will have you playing in the snow, enjoying cool days generally in the 50’s, crisp cold nights and the beautiful mountain scenery.
Here are our Top 5 family friendly activities for to consider for your next Springtime Colorado vacation.
RAFTING IN CANON CITY
1. Enjoy Class II to Class V raft on the Arkansas River in Canon City. You will find the state’s best concentration of rafting companies here in Canon City. The best time to hit the river is around Mid April. Choose rafting Big Horn Sheep Canyon for Class II – III rapids or the Royal Gorge for Class III – V rapids. If this is your family’s first time rafting, ask about a family float trip.
If you enjoy the outdoors, Canon City Co offers some more great options for family friendly adventure including the Royal Gorge Park. It’s an inexpensive way to spend an entire fun filled day. Peak Season begins April 25th.
SANDBOARDING IN ALAMOSA
2. Grab your snowboard or sled and head out to the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Alamosa. While there may still be a bit of snowfall in March and April you can actually snowboard the Dunes year round. Spring is also great time for kite flying with higher than usual winds and miles for everyone in the family to run.
SCENIC VIEWS IN TELLURIDE
3. For great springtime Colorado scenery, visit Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride. This is one of Colorado’s most popular free falling waterfalls and flows from more than 400ft above. A four-wheel drive for the trip to the falls is recommended.
REST AND RELAX IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS
4. Rest and Relax at Glenwood Hot Springs. The pool is open and kept at a comfortable temperature year round. You can hit the pool as a day trip or stay at the Resort for that extra special pampering. Glenwood Hot Springs is a perfect family resort destination that offers lodging, dining, shopping, spa treatments, a fitness club and natural Mineral Springs all in one destination.
SPRING SKIING AT WOLF CREEK SKI AREA
5. Most ski resorts close out the ski season around the mid to the end of April. This gives you plenty of opportunities for skiing at the best end of season rates available. Wolf Creek Ski Resort is a great option for families looking to hit the slopes before Summer arrives and save a few bucks at the same time.
Wolf Creek is a no fluff ski area outside of Pagosa Springs, Co and is open from early November until early April. The fact that Wolf Creek receives the most snow in Colorado each year is no secret! In March, Wolf Creek can easily receive more snow than Aspen and Vail combined.
If you’re looking to other areas of the state for skiing, don’t forget to sign up on the individual resort mailing lists. The resorts tend to start sending out email discount specials several months ahead of time. Some popular ski destinations include Arapahoe Basin, Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Telluride, Crested Butte, Keystone, Loveland, Winter Park, Kendall Mountain (great family friendly skiing) and Steamboat.
Whatever you plan to do on your family vacation, head outdoors and enjoy the beautiful countryside known as Colorado. It’ll prove to be one Spring vacation you will remember for years to come.
Stephanie is an avid Colorado traveler and owner of a family oriented Colorado destination guide. For destination tips and family friendly vacation information visit [http://www.your-family-colorado-vacation.com]. For another 101 Fun Colorado Things to Do While on Vacation visit [http://www.your-family-colorado-vacation.com/colorado-things-to-do.html].
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Stephanie_L_Barker/434928